Reverse Engineering RET Homepage RET Members Reverse Engineering Projects Reverse Engineering Papers Reversing Challenges Reverser Tools RET Re-Search Engine Reverse Engineering Forum Reverse Engineering Links

Go Back   Reverse Engineering Team Board > Reverse Engineering Board > General Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-31-2009, 12:55 PM
Super Moderator

G497RGT - no, what you mean is when YOU find them they are wrong. If minthus followed that document correctly then the seeds are 100% correct. I have used that method for a long time and never seen it fail. Even in V11+
. I am sure others here will testift likewise. I suggest you check your facts more carefully before jumping onto a forum where you are not known and tell people they are wrong when they are not.

Bad start.

Git
Old 11-01-2009, 01:19 AM

Sorry, my mistake. Steps are good. Thanks.
Old 11-01-2009, 02:43 PM

I see.
Anyway, the daemon started, the software needed SIGN= but also uses the stronger eliptic curve / public key stuff, so the program exe or dll's need to be patched in order to checkout old-school licenses.
I havent seen any tuts regarding patching to dll/exe in order to force the software to checkout old-school licenses.

I ended up with a daemon serving old-school licenses that the software do not checkout since it needs patching.
Old 11-01-2009, 06:16 PM
Super Moderator

You need to patch the VendorCode struct in the data section. There is a single byte field that specifies the type of SIGN used. Change it to normal 12/20 digit.

Git
Old 11-02-2009, 01:57 AM

Approximately, thats what I have figured out.
I dloaded an exe called FlexECCPatch.exe that indeed found some sort of pattern inside the dll that I found keeps the flex calls.
But running FlexECCPatch.exe onto the dll didn't make it work, instead the software gave a huge error & exited.

Man, this is difficult.
Old 11-02-2009, 02:53 AM

Send a message via ICQ to BfoX Send a message via MSN to BfoX Send a message via Yahoo to BfoX

FlexECCPatch.exe developed not for v11.x of the flexlm
Old 11-02-2009, 12:00 PM

Exactly what I also have read. In fact, supposodly, the patch is done but flex ignores it.
And my feeling is that what eccpatch does, is not exactly what I am supposed to do. Similair, probably.
Can someone of you really clever/talented guys give som more hints on how to proceed?
I cannot remember seeing any tuts on patching dll/exe to revert to regular sign-checking & avoid using the cro-stuff, on say 11.x v targets...
Old 11-02-2009, 12:08 PM

Send a message via ICQ to BfoX Send a message via MSN to BfoX Send a message via Yahoo to BfoX

may be simply upload the vendor daemons file?
Old 11-02-2009, 01:01 PM
Super Moderator

I just told you exactly what to do. There are other ways, but that is the easiest.

Git
Old 11-03-2009, 02:59 PM

I totally believe that I am the stupid one here.
I totally would like to wrap my head around this last step of patching.

I read up on what the flexeccpatch does and it patches _l_pubkey_verify() to always return "ok" (wild guess...) and this is not the way to get it to fall back to pre-sign checking, for this, I need to
a) find the data structure
b) and read up on what value inside this structure need to be changed from something to something else.

So, I applied my newly learned method combining stuff learnt from a certain PDF & using calcseed (this is replacing the patching method provided in the PDF) & inside my dll I do find the same two "6F7330B8" as inside the daemon, so I kinda understand what you were trying to explain to me Git. But not totally.

* I have found the point where I would put my two bp's inside the DLL if it was a daemon.
Q: Can the dll be patched without running it (by loading the exe that calls it in the disassembler) or should I read the PDF once more, using the explained-but-not-understood-method of patching to somehow patch the dll?

Last edited by ssabb : 11-03-2009 at 03:18 PM. Reason: a bit more researched reply...