Reverse Engineering RET Homepage RET Members Reverse Engineering Projects Reverse Engineering Papers Reversing Challenges Reverser Tools RET Re-Search Engine Reverse Engineering Forum Reverse Engineering Links

Go Back   Reverse Engineering Team Board > Reverse Engineering Board > Reverse/Social Engineering
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2005, 12:00 AM

I remember when I was 12/13/14 I was on my boxen printing lock picking guides I found. Mostly come from anarchists cookbooks 'n related. Couple months of learning I made a torque out an allen key (filed the shortest length down to like a flathead screwdriver), made another out of a small screw driver (used hammer to bend it on an angle), I made a standard lock pick out of a crosure needle I stole from my grand ma.. worked like a charm.. I then could pick basic pad locks, etc. I remember at school picking the PE gear lockers and stealing the locks for more practise :P.

Any ways KW it's just the normal proc. search and yee shall find, learn and thee shall know.. ? haha

:lol:

It takes time to build
Old 11-28-2005, 09:57 AM

hey i have looked up how to open master locks the kind that you spin but all of the solutions i find are for the ones that are from 1990. anybody know how to open the new ones?

charles
Old 05-28-2006, 04:05 AM

As a child I always wanted a room filled with all kinds of locks, when I grew up. I loved the idea of picking locks. I still don't have my room, but one day. Eventually, I came across a lock pick set and swiped it. Been a couple years since I played with them. Not an expert but can pick most common locks I come across. Few months back I decided to make a video tutorial on picking. Like most ideas I never stepped forth and produced it. Yesterday, one of my friends asked me how to pick a lock. I pulled my set out of my laptop bag ( they go everywhere my laptop does! ). Even had to pick a lock a couple times for bosses at various jobs. Anyway, it took me about two minutes to draw out a diagram and explain how a lock works and how lock picks are used. Within two minutes he was able to pick one of the cheap locks we had laying around. A couple minutes later his sister came in asking what we were doing. We told her the plan. I described the details in about 75 seconds ( diagram already drawn ). She popped it in one minute 30 seconds flat!

Couple seconds ago one of his sister's friends was brought in the room, she got the chump lock in about 30 seconds. It helps that she had seen a lock reKeyed before. I just got done writing this article and was fixin to post it when she walked in. This is great! You know how many years I've waited to find someone else to pick with? This is great stuff. Thanks for the extra incentives you fellow reversers!

I was amazed at how fast they learned. Of course my desire to create the video grew exponentially. So last night we ran up to the store and bought a dozen different locks and some video tape. We shot half of the tutorial. We will shoot the rest some time this week. I still have to edit the video and create a 3D animation of a lock. I am going to disassemble one of the locks and show the inner workings. Rebuild the lock in 3D and animate a lock picking simulation. I plan to release the video in a couple months. I'll eventually put up a link if anyone is interested?

Until then, here are some resources we dug up last night for further exploration.

Go to google video and search for: lock picking
You will find some decent videos.

muaddib: -> ( From The Shadows Box 06 )
This one in particular has a brief demonstration about tubular locks. This is a video of a defcon with a lock picking section. I found it on google video. If you don't want to watch the whole thing just fast forward to around 5:30/28:51 of the video.

After seeing that video it may not be to hard to make one of these yourself. Have you ever seen one of those boxes that imprints objects with nails(points cut off)?. If you stick your hand under it, it will form around your hand, by indenting the nails with the object under it. Not sure what they are called. Something you would see at sharper image. You could use the same theory to create this tool. I have seen this technology used for allen bolts, for allen wrenches. You just need one tool and the pins will form into the indention of the allen bolt. You can use the same tool for various different sized bolts.
---

For those of you who need a banana cheap lock set try this google video:
( Banana Lock Picking Video )
Wow! What a champ. I don't suggest using this as your first lock picking exercise, but hey if its all you got? At the end of this video he uses a frozen banana to tap a bump key. This is a custom key that you can make. Instead of trying to pick each pin at a time. You can use a bump key. Just bump or tap the key a couple times and bam!
---

If you want to create your own tools I suggest checking out the lock pick sets here:
lockpicks.com
You will find all kinds of tools for: Pinned locks, tubular locks, car locks( slim jim type and keyed type ), and many more. Look at the pics and you will be able to mimic them. You can use all kinds of things. Street sweeper bristles, brick palette bands, coat hangers, nails, bananas, allen wrenches, paper clips, metal scraps, etc. You can also use a dipStick from a car. Grind, sand or cut it to your needs. Temper it with a blow torch. Through some oil on it and you're good to glow!

lockpickshop.com
This has a catalog you can check out. Don't recall the quality of the pics here.
---

***All kinds of great info can be found here***:
lockpicking101.com

Search this forum for lock picking:
irvineunderground.org

Just found this one:
toool.nl/index-eng.php
They have a 600MB video on bumping locks. Gotta check this out! You just might be surprised. I have not tried this technique, yet. It's on the to do list now.

totse.com/en/bad_ideas/locks_and_security/makelockpicks171047.html
Simple page about how to make a set of lock picks with a coat hanger.
---

Anyone looking for a challenging lock can try these:

2nd hardest lock to pick (that I have found):
( master 6270 ) -> try googling for it. You will also find it on images.google
Yes, it is a master lock. Around 35$.

hardest lock to pick ( that I have tried):
( american lock 700 series ) -> google or images.google
Around 30$. This one is by American Lock Company.

cheers to all the curious out there,
qsmt
Old 05-29-2006, 04:59 AM

For some,

lockpickers.nl
Dutch lock picking forum

eyepopper.nl
Nederlandse lockpick webShop

---

For others,

Making lockpicks
I dont know if these change? So here are two links (same video):