Reverse Engineering RET Homepage RET Members Reverse Engineering Projects Reverse Engineering Papers Reversing Challenges Reverser Tools RET Re-Search Engine Reverse Engineering Forum Reverse Engineering Links

Go Back   Reverse Engineering Team Board > Reverse Engineering Board > Reverse Code Engineering
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-28-2009, 06:41 PM

Default HASP Emulating in Linux

Hello
That is my first post in the forum. I am a newbie in reversing. English is not my native language so sorry for any spelling mistakes.

I know C and C++ but from the tutorials i read C language will not help me as ASM will do. I tried many times to open exe and dll files mostly with olly but never reached to a good point.

I read many posts here in the forum trying to find some answers for the problem i face now with a HASP key. I have a pc witch runs with Debian GNU/Linux lenny.sid. A tomcat 5.5 machine. After solving some problems with the login password i came to my biggest problem i believe.

The PC has a HASP key that is activating the PC for a month as demo machine. The company makes new HASP (again with a month limitation) of course not cheap. It is a HASP HL 3.5 Version.

In the forum, i did not find anywhere dumping software for Linux or I might be wrong?? I know it might sound stupid but I have to ask.
Is it possible to read the HASP with windows XP and try to find the password or activate the HASP and insert it back to the LINUX machine??

Is it possible to emulate the HASP with Linux?? I am not sure about WINE under Linux could do the job.

Does anybody has the link for downloading VUSB ??

Thank you very much
Old 11-29-2009, 12:13 AM

Do you know how to use search function?
If you don't know, here it is.
Just type vUSB.

Last edited by gnerogeem : 11-29-2009 at 12:44 AM.
Old 11-30-2009, 04:20 PM

Hi again
I did not find any posts from people using linux and trying to dump the HASP. As a matter of fact i did not find any Linux software that can do it.
I was trying today to use WINE in Linux but i could not get the HASP connected so to read the HASP.

Is there a solution to do it. Can i read the HASP from the Linux terminal.
What is the other possible ways to red the HASP?

Thank you very much
Old 12-01-2009, 03:47 PM

Hello

Today I was browsing the files in the PC I have and need to read the HASP memory. Some details about the PC. It is a server PC as I mentioned in my first post. It is a game server. I can log in for any PC of the local network just by using the 193.168.0.110 address. I can see the Game administrator page that the shop owner has to credit time for the games provided by the server.

From the client pc I can start up the games but it is a demo version games (warning with red letters that are demo games) also the administrator uses password as demo (this is the password (demo).

What I am thinking. It appears that the PC went as a demo PC server to the shop and the people they were using it (before they give it to me) as demo but added the HASP as protection.

I know it sounds stupid. They did not pay for the game and use it after they added extra safety. If those people (not the original manufacturer) were buying the game, then the manufacturer was going to remove the DEMO warning and sell his games to those people. Now if those people did not paid the game manufacturer and used the PC for their own purpose, then they tried to add a safety and they found the HASP key as a solution. Not actually a safety but that is a reasonable way of get paid from the customer since every month the customer will need and pay for a new HASP.
Actually they were renting the server and using the HASP for the time limitation). Now those people if they had the abilities to reverse the game source code and place a HASP key into it then they could remove the DEMO warning as well. Possible or plausible ????

Well these are my thoughts. I might be wrong.

So my question is, is it possible to use a HASP to lock some network functions of the server and not the game it self. I mean by the time the client PC is connected to the Server and uses the Client password a function for the Server is searching to find if the HASP is Valid (as mentioned in my first post they were selling their HASP for a month validity) and allows the client to uses his demo account for play.

Does it sound stupid? If I am right then I might search to remove that application without getting involved with the HASP at all which I realized that it is difficult due to the fact that it is Linux machine.

Thank you very much and sorry for my long post.
Old 12-01-2009, 04:12 PM

Have you tried by way of VMWare?

You made mention of WINE; did you use WINE in an attempt to run the target software w/dongle or the dumper w/dongle?

The target software should have no problems running in a linux environment provided that it is supported. If it is not supported, and you are not successful with WINE, then the use of VMWare server coupled with Windows should do the trick.

-G
Old 12-01-2009, 04:55 PM

bafman,
Would you tell us what are you trying to achieve? Do you want the games? Or do you want to run this server as is without time restriction? Or do you want to run several copies of the server itself?

You won't find any ready-made emulators, dumpers or loggers for linux. Moreover you are not sure what is protected with that hasp key.

1.What happens when the hasp key is not plugged?
2.What happens when 30 day period expires?
3.Where have you taken this V3.5 hasp version number from?
4.Is that hasp key updated remotely or by some piece of software or you have to return the dongle for update? Or you actually receive a new hasp for every 30 days period?
5.Could you tell us what windows says when you plug the key for the first time to a windows based PC?
6.Do you think that you have a time hasp model with a real time clock? Or the time limitation is achieved by the means of the PC's RTC?
Old 12-01-2009, 07:46 PM

Hello GNIREENIGNE and CyberGhost and thank you very much for your post and information.

GNIREENIGNE
The Server had no xorg or x-windows GUI so I was working from the root (black screen). I could not install WINE so I installed the xorg KDE kdm windows system in order to install WINE. After the installation of the windows system the server stopped providing client services and is not accessible any more. I need some time to fix the settings and make it to work again as it was before. By the way I made 3 copies of the HDD (ghost) for backup.
As for the VMware I never used it. There is no problem of course to download it and install it and see what I can do from there. I am sure it will work since you mentioned and you are more experienced than me. Please guide me on this one. I have to install the VMware software and later WinXP isn’t it??
My problem is if I use one of the ghosted HDD I will have a virtual machine with xp and Debian OS. But the Debian will not have x-windows system. Do I need it? Without xwindows system the machine is working properly and the HASP as well. So it will be more possible to use the configuration as it is working from root and try to read the HSAP for the virtual XP machine isn’t it??

CyberGhost
Well I do not intend to run several copies of the server. I want the games for sure. I just need to make this one PC to work. I would like to run it without limitation or to use it with the HASP key once I have the password I can credit time in it easily isn’t it??

1. When the HASP key is not plugged it behaves the same as the HASP key is expired.

2. The administrator page (192.168.0.110) is working, using demo as password it is entering in administrator setup and I can credit time to the client pc. The client pcs are not working. When the HASP is expired or not plugged in the server when you try to use the client password (demo01) is mentioning demo expired.

3. 3.5 Version was written in the sticker on the HASP. I will tell you what windows is saying when I plug it tomorrow because the PC is not in my house now and it is late here for that job now. Sorry.

4. They were returning the HASP keys for update but none was mentioning from what PC was taken out or keep records. When the company was returning the HSAPs they were active to all of the server PC. That means that the HASP password was one for all of them I thing. Also I forgot to mention that if the new HASP was installed once in a server and you might want to use the HASP in other server the HASP was not valid any more (after plugged in a new server). I believe that this explains that HASP key was activated from the BIOS or system clock and not real time.

6. Well as above and since I have a HASP HL, I believe that the HASP has internal clock but I am not sure. Tomorrow I will post the exact HASP model I have, after I will plug it in a WinXP PC. I believe that they were setting the HASP for a validity of a month whatever the real time was. The bios time was in 2003 but the terminal shows me the time is set in 03 March 2008. I will check the terminal time if changed and tell you.

Thank you very much for your time and help.
Old 12-02-2009, 05:27 PM

Hi
Windows XP is mentioning that the USB is a HASP HL (3.21).

Wine can not recognize the HASP so i am heading to VMware.
It will take some time but i have to give it a try.
Thank you again

Last edited by bafman : 12-02-2009 at 05:27 PM. Reason: Spelling errors
Old 12-02-2009, 06:28 PM

Your hasp key has SRM capability. Wine could not help you since it is a some sort of a virtual machine that is running UNDER linux OS. If you try VMware or other virtual machines make sure that you run your linux server as guest OS under windows XP host OS.
Old 12-05-2009, 09:07 AM

Hi CyberGhost
Thank you very much for your tip
Is it possible to give me one more tip.
The linux Debian is already installed and working with the HASP. I installed the VMware (after many effords ) If i install win XP it will be installed as guest system isnt it. Is it possible to switch the guest and host OS as you suggested?
Thank you very much