Reverse Engineering RET Homepage RET Members Reverse Engineering Projects Reverse Engineering Papers Reversing Challenges Reverser Tools RET Re-Search Engine Reverse Engineering Forum Reverse Engineering Links

Go Back   Reverse Engineering Team Board > Reverse Engineering Board > Reverse Code Engineering
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2003, 09:42 AM
Administrator

Send a message via Yahoo to kw
Default Javascript tools

Hello ppl,

this is a thread about something quite simple I've been using for quite a long time now, and I thought people might find interesting. I see some people bash Javascript because they're using it for the wrong reasons, and it doesn't work well in those occasions.. Of course it won't, it wasn't designed to be like flash or Java, or whatever.
What it IS useful for is for quick little tasks concerning webpages. Ive been using little html files containing scripts for quite a while, to make browsing a bit easier.. For example, when I type 'dict' in my address bar, the bookmark I have named 'dict' is started, which is dict.html, containing:
Code:
<script>window.location="http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q="+window.prompt('Word:');</script>
This will give me a quick prompt for a word, and then bring me to the appropriate dictionary page (making use of passing the variables in the address )

There are a lot of these little applications where small scripts are really quite useful

One more before I go is get.html, to get a file you have the address for but the browser wont let you simple save (but tries to run, for example.. Say a .class file )
Code:
<script>document.write('<a href="'+window.prompt("URL:")+'">Here</a>');</script>
I didn't quite know what to do with this post, but I figured it'd fit neatly beside the commandline browsing thread

Ciao,
-KW
Old 03-27-2003, 04:14 PM
Administrator

Default yep!

Nice tricks!
I think that these ones, together with commandline browsing, could join to become a nice "Power browsing" thread. Power browsing will be the only way to find anything in a finite time, when the web becomes bigger and bigger and data start to hide themselves from the users.

Also, the thing I like most in these tricks is not the trick itself, but the attitude to make the computer do what you should otherwise do by hand... they're more and more powerful and they just want to be used, let's do it!

+mala
Old 03-28-2003, 04:18 PM

Awhile back on Woodmann's board someone posted a zip with a few files in it. One was a webpage that you put in one of the system dirs. One was a .reg file that added an entry to the ie right click context menu. Basically it let you right click on a 'hxxp' link and it would correct the link and open it in a new window so that site didn't get the referrer url. I can't seem to find a copy of it but I'm sure that I've still got it somewhere. Have any of you guys seen it? If not, I'll post it if I can find it.

cheers,
will
Old 03-29-2003, 08:31 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Have any of you guys seen it? *If not, I'll post it if I can find it.
I still haven't found it... if you do, please post it, it seems quite interesting!
Thank you very much :wink:

+mala
Old 03-29-2003, 06:36 PM

Well I rummaged through a few discs and several hdd's but still couldn't find. Then I sat back and did some thinking (arggg) and googled for it.... and found it in the 3rd search result! Too bad I didn't do some intelligent googling before I wasted that time looking for it offline. Live and learn eh.

Anyways, it's called "OpenSelectedUrl" and can be found here:
http://gambrell.liquidweb.com/ss/pages/freeware.htm

It's about midway down and is labeled as "JohnC's 'Open Selected URL'" so just do a find for that.

(I don't like to direct link.)

cheers,
will
Old 05-26-2003, 08:14 AM

You can direct link in this case:
http://jc1000.hypermart.net/javascript/download/

-½cut
Old 05-27-2003, 12:34 PM

Default Bookmarklets

More bookmarklets here.

sice
Old 11-19-2005, 10:46 PM
Administrator

Send a message via Yahoo to kw

One of my latest scriptlets, to search wikipedia. I thought some of you might find it useful
Code:
javascript:window.location="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/"+(window.prompt('Wiki:')).replace(/ /,'_');